Lectionary Year A
March 21, 1999
Step II: Disposition
B. QUESTIONS RAISED BY THE TEXT
1. What sort of tomb was it? Underground or in a cave?
2. What was standard procedure for burial in the ancient middle east?
3. What does it mean to believe and see the glory of God (vs 40)?
4. Regarding Jesus' prayer in vv. 41-42, was his prayer spoken so that
everyone could hear, or was it spoken silently?
5. What about other resurrection stories in the NT, OT, and extra biblical
literature? How does this one compare?
6. Why did Jesus raise Lazarus when so many others died, both then and
7. Was Lazarus to live eternally or did he die a second earthly death?
8. Vs 38 seems to suggest that Jesus had strong feelings for Lazarus and
his sisters. What does this say about the nature of our relationship with
God? With others?
| Return to gospel listings | Return to epistle listings |
| Return to Old Testament listings | Return to Psalm listings |
| User response form |